Complete Material Cost #3,000
This study examined the factors militating against the acquisition of office technology and management skill. Acquisition of secretarial or office technology and management skills involve the transfer of knowledge of a secretary from the teacher or lecturer to the learner. For an organization to take significant or important advantage of technology it requires person in such area as computer network administrator etc. The research employed the survey design. The population consist of ninety (90) student and ten (10) lecturers in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic Bori. The study revealed that inadequate facilities, lack of motivation, attitude and interest of a student, lack of maintenance, as well as lack of some office machine affect or militate against the acquisition of an office technology and management skill. Based on the findings in this research work, it was therefore recommended among others that the school especially the department of an office technology and management should be well equipped with learning and teaching facilities in order to enhance learning of some courses that carried practical such as webpage, management information system, typewriting etc., as well as there should be specialist to maintain our machine and computer system.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Acquisition of secretarial or office technology and management skills involve the transfer of knowledge of a secretary from the teacher or lecturer to the learner.
Secretarial studies is now known as office technology and management, is cause that has been passed through generations.
The different period through which it has passed, various way of doing what constitutes the present day subject in office technology and management such as typing, recording information, filing etc.
Office technology refers to the use of computer system software and network for processing and distribution of data and communication.
An office simply means a place where administrative duties are carried out.
Technology enable an organization to manage its operations effectively and create a competitive advantage, office technology consists of technical devices and tools used in an organization to executing or carry out everyday task such as managing payroll information, analyzing sales records and communication.
For an organization to take significant or important advantage of technology it requires person in such area as computer network administrator etc. it has been developed from the idea of typing with our manual typewriting and shorthand which is the representation of word and spoken sound. However, the desire of men is to increase the different way or method of writing dictated note and how to handle office equipment in an organization.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The services of a secretary or an office technologist is very important in every organization in today world, today, the secretarial function have expanded large enough, particularly in the area of technological development.
Besides, more and more managers are beginning to see the need to engage the secretary in administrative duties to free them to do some other jobs, the secretary is now much more than just a mere receptionist or typist, many chief executives now expect their secretary to perform administrative function, but the question is that, how, can a secretary who has not acquired the necessary secretarial skill fit into an organization that is growing technologically and how can such secretary contribute to the success of the organization?
It is important to discuss the factors militating or affecting the acquisition of a secretary or office technologist the needed skill becomes a relevant issue or problem to be addressed.
- To identify those factors militating against the acquisition of secretarial skill in Rivers State Polytechnic Bori.
- To examine why the specialization is undertaken by few students unlike other department?
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is as followed:
- The purpose or aim of this study is to determine or recognize those factors militating against the acquisition of a secretarial skill in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
- To discover a capable way or method in which those factor militating against the acquisition of secretarial skill can be completely removed or get rid of.
- To provide solution on how the secretarial courses can be made interesting to all the student who offer this course as a field of study in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
- To make some recommendation based on the result of the research finding and suggest in some possible ways of acquiring secretarial skill in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study on the factors militating against the acquisition of secretarial skill in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic is aimed at producing veritable solution to education, administration and the public at large to reach useful decision regarding the supply of available resources for effective acquisition of secretarial skill in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
This study will serve as a guide to parents in the choice of career or children willing to pursue the secretarial profession.
The study will also help the researcher to know more about those things that affect the acquisition of the secretary or technological skills in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
There are factors militating against the acquisition of secretarial skill in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic Bori, this research question will be a guide.
- In what way does inadequate facility affect the acquisition of secretarial skill?
- How does lack of motivation, attitude and interest militate against the acquisition of office technology and management?
- How does lack of maintenance affect or militate against the acquisition of secretarial skill?
- How does lack of office equipment affect the acquisition of a secretarial skill?
1.6 DELIMITATION OR SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the research work is limited to students of Office Technology and Management in Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
A research of this cannot be complete without some problem or limitation, the problem the researcher will faced is financial issue and also is the problem of research material.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
– Acquisition: Is the act or process of acquiring or gaining knowledge.
– Attitude: The way that you feel and think about something.
– Administrator: Is a person who is in position of authority. Or who work as a manager in a business or school.
– Collaboration: The act of working with another person, doing things together.
– Contrary: Different from or completely
– Consequently: As a result or effect
– Constitutes: The system of law and basic principle that a state, country or an organization is governed.
– Defective: Imperfect
– Facilitate: To make an action
– Dimensional: A measurable extent such as length.
– Emphasized: To give special important to make more noticeable.
– Factor: A fact, influence that contribute to a result.
– Militated: To prevent or difficult something
– Liberation: Set free
– Laboratory: A building for scientific experiment or teaching
– Instructional: A direction or teaching
– Facility: A piece of equipment provided for a particular purpose.
– Vocational: Relating to providing or undergoing training in a special skill
– Model: Something used as an example
– Psychological: Have to do with mind
– Transient: Lasting for a short time
– Insufficient: Not enough
– Skill: The ability to do something well
– Questionnaire: A set of printed or written questions with a choice of answers, devised for the purposes of a survey or statistical study.
Complete Material Cost #3,000